About Us

Sonoma County, California
We are two teachers in love who took on an enormous renovation project over three years ago. In the words of the inspector, "This house has been abused." When we're not educating young minds or working on our place, we are busy with many other interests. Dominic could blog with authority on the following topics: zombie infestations, home-brewing, origami, medieval recreation, and surfing. As for me, my blogging repertoire could include these topics: breastfeeding, guitar for the musically disinclined, bellydancing, and the quest for the perfect matzah ball. This is our story.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Denial is a Good Thing

When you are working on a home improvement project of a certain magnitude, I maintain that some denial can be helpful. Dominic asked me later if I was ever terrified at this phase of the project that we’d never get the house put back together again, and honestly, I don’t think I was. I never let myself dwell on the fact that THIS was what we’d paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for (when those thoughts began to hum in my brain, I focused all my energy on looking at pretty paint chips and decorating magazines). Also, it wasn’t as if we’d chosen to renovate a perfectly decent house - I really couldn’t have lived in the house in its pre-remodeling state, so tearing it apart was the only option. I guess I didn’t let myself feel scared because I didn’t want to really freak out, but maintaining my denial was at times a delicate endeavor. I couldn’t put my fingers in my ears fast enough when Dominic told a family friend that he was “winging it.” Sometimes, honesty is just cruel.

No comments: