About Us

Sonoma County, California
We are two teachers in love who took on an enormous renovation project over three years ago. In the words of the inspector, "This house has been abused." When we're not educating young minds or working on our place, we are busy with many other interests. Dominic could blog with authority on the following topics: zombie infestations, home-brewing, origami, medieval recreation, and surfing. As for me, my blogging repertoire could include these topics: breastfeeding, guitar for the musically disinclined, bellydancing, and the quest for the perfect matzah ball. This is our story.

Friday, November 30, 2007

True Confessions



We had two gates to build, and we went for the classic, cottage look of a pergola (or is it called an arbor?) above each gate. The first gate was a pain to paint due to the perpendicular top pieces, so we began painting the second gate without those pieces. Truthfully, it was still a hassle. And, if I'm being completely honest, both gates could use another coat of white paint today. We never finished painting the top pieces of the second gate, and the first gate was painted but went through a winter without rain gutters, so it's seen better days. I do like the shabby chic look of worn paint, but these two go a bit too far. Hopefully they'll achieve their full potential some time soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a random out of the blue question for you. I was looking on google for some fence and arbor pics and saw your blog. It looks generally the same idea as mine, right down to painting it white. The wife wanted white PVC fencing, I said I'll do spruce or cedar or PT or whatever and sand & putty and put 3 coats of white paint until it looks like PVC, it will be stronger and cheaper. So long story short and down to the question/comment... my neighbors complained! Bright white fence, they hated it, also 'it reflects the sunlight into their yard and they dont like that'. They hated it so much they put up a cedar fence back to back against ours! The entire nighborhood was laughing at them and they'd come up to me when I was working outside to make fun of them. And after all was said and done and both fences were up, mine was an inch or so taller than theirs, and they asked me to trim it down so they wouldnt have to look at it!!! So my question was have you had any negetive feedback on your white fence?